Thursday, March 19, 2009

Canvas / Stretching



Finishing Touch: The stretching of the piece is always the most interesting with these particular works. Often for the entire duration of the making I have an imagined orientation for the drawing, even from the beginning when I start pleating and folding the canvas. Its unavoidable, the canvas a series of folds creates lines which forms a composition in itself, but stretching the canvas out often hides the dominance of the folds and combines the drawn patterns as the predominant form. Every time I finish stretching, I stand only to rotate the canvas or flip it and find its the perfect position, like seeing a completely fresh/different drawing. I think filming the stretching process reveals what I always wanted to see, which is the shift in progress. Hope you enjoy. Best,

No comments:

Post a Comment